Male fantasies, male fantasies, is everything run by male fantasies? Up on a pedestal or down on your knees, it’s all a male fantasy: that you’re strong enough to take what they dish out, or else too weak to do anything about it. Even pretending you aren’t catering to male fantasies is a male fantasy: pretending you’re unseen, pretending you have a life of your own, that you can wash your feet and comb your hair unconscious of the ever-present watcher peering through the keyhole, peering through the keyhole in your own head, if nowhere else. You are a woman with a man inside watching a woman. You are your own voyeur.
Margaret Atwood, The Robber Bride
I follow Margaret Atwood on twitter because she interacts with really funny nature accounts (she’ll rt something like @DucksIncorporated or @Birdwatchersunited and the tweet will be like, “The beautiful spring feathers of the meadowlark.”) Anyway. It’s easy to forget that she’s also a very dank writer.
You are a woman with a man inside watching a woman.
This line, oof.
Been spending a lot of time lately trying to untangle how a lifetime of patriarchy has fucked up my own sexual agency. Nothing like getting derailed inside your own head by worries of how you look in the moment, whether you measure up to some external standard…
The militarization of the police is not an aberration—it is the necessary condition of a society based on hierarchy and domination. It is not just the police that have been militarized, but our entire way of life. Anyone who does not see this is not living on the business end of the guns. These are the forces of peace and justice, the mechanisms that “keep the peace” in a dramatically imbalanced social order.What They Mean when They Say Peace (via ninjabikeslut)
Playing children destroy many things and you wouldn’t say they’re nihilistic. There is a passage by Walter Benjamin that I’ve quoted again and again in interviews right from the time when Neubauten started because there were always so many questions about destructiveness and negativity. So the best I can say to that is to quote it again: ‘The destructive character’s only watchword is: Make room… The destructive character is young and cheerful. For destroying rejuvenates, because it clears out of the way the traces of our own age.’Blixa Bargeld (via ballard435)
Rowland is not a model the camera just turned on
Go home Nick you’re drunk
The Birthday Party
Tonight in Ferguson, Mo. Even CNN is calling out police brutality.
We are watching history unfold. Do not stand down. Spread the word.
No justice, no peace.
I say fuck all cops because, rather than be critical and take a stand against their fellow officers, good cops are nowhere to be fucking seen when wild shit goes down.
No police officer, especially police chief, gets on the news or social media or some type of fucking platform and says shit about bad cops.
So fuck them.
Fuck them for standing in camaraderie with corrupt individuals.
Edward Said in an interview with Timothy Appleby (1986) on the question "Can an Arab & Jewish state coexist?"
- TA: Why don't you, once and for all, renounce terror?
- ES: We're not in a position to renounce anything that confirms our status as essentially terrorists, which is what the Israelis have since the middle 1970s been trying to convince the world of. That all Palestinian acts of resistance are acts of terror. It's blatant hypocrisy, it's a lie, from a state that commands its bombers from a height of 10,000 feet to bomb refugee camps.
- TA: Nonetheless...
- ES: Nonetheless, I'm telling you about the image. Images are formed by the media, and you know as well as I do that you're not interested in covering Al Fajr [an Arab newspaper published in Jerusalem], but you do cover random outrages by individuals who attempt to blow up a bus in Israel. Have you ever actually done a body count? Have you? Have you any idea of the disparity between Israelis killed and Palestinians killed? I mean, we're talking hundreds to one...
- TA: Why do you think you have such a hard time convincing anybody of this?
- ES: Because we are a non-Western people from a civilization that has always been in conflict with the West. The world of Islam has always been a historical competitor, and it has never capitulated. So the one thing people don't understand is, why do you Palestinians whimper? Why don't you go away? Forget it. But we don't.
- TA: Maybe time is running out.
- ES: They said that five years ago [in 1981] -- the midnight hour. The fact is, every Israeli realizes they have no military option against us. What are they going to do? Kill everybody? So some of us say, WE FIGHT ON. And we keep saying, We're going to live together with you. That no matter what they do, we're a shadow.
- TA: It seems quite clear the Israelis are not going to give up...
- ES: It was very clear in Algeria. And they fought for what? 130 years? Then they gave up... [T]hey said that about the British in Kenya. Who could have imagined that after 300 years of colonization in India they would have left? They come and they go.
Monday night. Part 6.
Remember this when you read reports of people ‘looting’ McDonalds tomorrow
c. 1946 - 1947
Sqcult vol. 2//15th of August 2014 @ Animal House
Sulfur trigger unstoppable waves of aesthetic insurrection. Important to note the door pieces in the background (from left to right: Take off your Pants/Take off your Feathers/Take off your Skin.) by fellow Square Cultist and left-artist Jennifer Mathews (noceans).
i just wanted to put this out there since im sure it’ll get written about differently tomorrow.
Community accountability for the win
SHRINE TO SPACE BASS
The finest aussie flowers for space bass, freshly picked from the streets of Welland. R.I.P.
You have served me so well space bass, yr life was cut all too short, by a broken neck. I’ll miss you. Yr poor action, yr super treble cut, yr flat radius and the bangers written on you.
"Today, Easter day of the Holy Year, Here, under the emblem of Notre-Dame of Paris, I accuse the universal Catholic Church of the lethal diversion of our living strength toward an empty heaven, I accuse the Catholic Church of swindling, I accuse the Catholic Church of infecting the world with its funereal morality, Of being the running sore on the decomposed body of the West. Verily I say unto you: God is dead, We vomit the agonizing insipidity of your prayers, For your prayers have been the greasy smoke over the battlefields of our Europe. Go forth then into the tragic and exalting desert of a world where God is dead, And till this earth anew with your bare hands, With your PROUD hands, With your unpraying hands. Today Easter day of the Holy Year, Here under the emblem of Notre-Dame of Paris, We proclaim the death of the Christ-god, so that Man may live at last."
The above quotation is taken from a sermon delivered by members of the Lettriste International who disrupted the Easter Mass at Notre-Dame in Paris in the month of April in the year 1950. Michel Mourre read the sermon dressed as a Dominican monk and the blasphemous and ruthlessly anti-clerical polemic was written by Serge Berna. This is easily one of the greatest moments in what would later be canonised as ‘performance art’ or ‘happenings’. It is a rigorous and violent moment of critique and one which anyone with any pretensions toward establishing an art-of-action must endeavour not merely to emulate but to surpass.